I’m a huge fan of Dan Gillmor. As a reporter at the San Jose Mercury News, he was on top of a lot of great tech stories. His book, We the Media, was an incredibly accurate prediction of where American journalism was heading in the early part of this century. And he’s been very public about his move to Linux. So I’m pretty psyched to have his participation here.
- Who are you, and what do you do?
I teach, write, speak, advise, invest and, overall, keep pretty busy.
- What distribution do you run on your main desktop/laptop?
- What software do you depend upon with this distribution?
LibreOffice, browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Chromium), Thunderbird email, VLC, Banshee, VMWare for several must-use Windows applications, and a bunch of others.
- What kind of hardware do you run it on?
Lenovo ThinkPad T430s.
- What is your ideal Linux setup?
I’m fairly happy with this setup. Wish I could have a few niche applications that match the quality of some Windows and Mac programs, however…
Editor’s note: I think he means applications like this:
- Will you share a screenshot of your desktop?
Interview conducted February 21, 2013