Dmitry interviewed me a few weeks ago and I thought it would be fun to repay the favor. By far the most interesting aspect of this setup is the fact that Dmitry chooses his distro by his mood at a given moment. Given that he’s running three different desktop environments on three different distros, that’s a pretty neat feat of mental gymnastics. I find it hard enough when I have to move from Chrome to Firefox.
- Who are you, and what do you do?
My name is Dmitry, but on the Internet I prefer my nickname, DarkDuck. I am the person behind Linux Notes From DarkDuck.
- Why do you use Linux?
At one point I understood that Windows XP took about 10 minutes to boot on my laptop. Also, I understood that Linux ran on my smartphone HTC Desire at that time. I decided to give Linux a go, and since then I am in the Linux world.
- What distribution do you run on your main desktop/laptop?
I run three Linux distributions on my laptop:
- Debian 7.0 Xfce – because of the rock-solid stability of Debian. It also controls my GRUB2.
- Mageia KDE – because I am in love with Mageia since day 1.
- Linux Mint Cinnamon – because I really think this is a good combination of convenience, performance and functionality. I must admit that I disliked Mint in their early versions, mostly due to their overly complex menu. In my opinion, the current version does not have this issue.
All of these are 64-bit. The “choice for the day” depends on my mood, but Mageia is the default option in the GRUB config.
- What desktop environment do you use and why do you use it?
- Xfce – because it’s light and has all the features I need.
- KDE – because of the eye-candy, of course.
- Cinnamon – just to try something new.
- What one piece of software do you depend upon with this distribution? Why is it so important?
I can’t say that I depend on any particular software. Although, I have some personal preferences: Chrome(-ium) over Firefox, VLC over other media players, LibreOffice over CalligraSuite or GNOME Office.
- What kind of hardware do you run this setup on?
My current laptop is a SONY VAIO VGN-NR21Z with dual core 2.1GHz Intel processor, 3GB RAM, 500Gb HDD, NVidia graphic card, Intel 4965AGN Wireless card.
- Will you share a screenshot of your desktop?
Interview conducted June 12, 2013